The College, initially named as “Assam Veterinary College”, was first established at Nagaon in the year 1948. A 3-year diploma course leading to Graduate in Veterinary Science (G.V.Sc) was introduced admitting 33 students in the first batch. After two years in 1950, the College was shifted to the premises of the Directorate of Veterinary Services, Govt. of Assam at Chenikuthi, Guwahati and the GVSc diploma course was extended to four years duration. ICAR’s model syllabus of 4-Year Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc. & A.H.) degree programme was adopted under the affiliation of Gauhati University in the year 1951 while concurrently continuing admission to the GVSc course. In 1960, the College was shifted to it’s present location at Khanapara, Guwahati and the duration of BVSc & AH degree programme was made 5 years with an increase in the intake capacity from 33 to 65. The eligibility for admission into the B.V.Sc & A.H. degree programme was also raised to Intermediate (Pre University or Higher Secondary) in Science. With the establishment of Assam Agricultural University (A.A.U) on April 1, 1969 the erstwhile Assam Veterinary College along with all physical facilities and manpower was transferred to the University as one of its constituent colleges and it was renamed as College of Veterinary Science.